We cannot clean ovens due to Covid 19 right now
So while you are waiting on a professional oven clean, I thought I would share this ‘recipe’ for a DIY solution.
This is not as thorough as what Dirtbusters use when deep cleaning ovens, as we strip all removable parts and use a dip tank to soak these at super high heat – but it may get you through the next few weeks! (This method is not suitable for aluminium surfaces.)
DIY oven cleaning gel recipe
This formula has no toxic nastiness and you can safely use this in your oven. You may not have all the bits needed, so pick them up next time you are doing your food shop. It is certainly a healthier choice than the bags of chemicals you can buy that you put your racks in.
Once you make this gumption – you are best using it straight away for maximum effectiveness.
- One tea spoon of xanthan gum – usually found in the baking aisle.
- Two tea spoons of glycerine – again, look in the shops baking aisle.
- Two tea spoons of washing up liquid
- One tea spoon of salt
- A mug of boiling hot water, around 300ml
- Five teaspoons of soda crystals. These are normally found in the cleaning section of the shop.
How to make the cleaning gel
- Mix together the glycerine and xanthan gum.
- Once combined, add the washing up liquid and stir in well.
- In a jug, mix the boiling water (carefully) with the salt and soda crystals. Keep mixing until the crystals are fully dissolved.
- Blitz all of the above ingredients in a blender or similar.
How to use the home made oven cleaning gumption
Very important – make sure the oven is turned off! If you can access the plug on your electric oven then unplug it.
Grab yourself your favourite rubber gloves.
Using a sponge or brush, spread the gel over all parts of the oven.
Leave this to dwell overnight.
Use your sponges or brushes to clean away the gel. Tip – If you have stubborn parts, simply use some bicarbonate of soda to gain a little extra friction.
Once happy, give the oven a final rinse and hey presto – a hygienically clean oven.
When you are ready for a more thoroughly deep professional oven clean, call Dirtbusters on 0151 268 5079.